HYS is excited to be offering a clinic specifically for HYS parent coaches on Wednesday, August 10th, 2016 from 6:00pm to 8:00pm at the Huntington Rec Field.
The clinic will be run by Dave Saward, head coach for the men’s soccer program at Middlebury College! This is a terrific opportunity for all HYS coaches to learn more about successfully coaching youth soccer…you don’t want to miss this!
Here is just some of the content that will be covered at the clinic…
- What should I have my team practicing and how? Should this vary based on age group?
- What are some fun games I can use to develop skills for the different age groups?
- What is an appropriate balance of skills drills vs scrimmages during a +/- 1hr practice?
- How do I know which players to put in which positions, and does that even matter for rec league youth soccer?
- How do I help my players understand the purpose of their field positions and avoid clumping on the field?
- How do I keep my players engaged while they are on the sidelines waiting to go in, and not trying to get me to switch their positions?
- How do I encourage good sportsmanship and team bonding, especially with such varying ability levels?
- How much talking/coaching should I be doing during a game, and to who, when, and how?
- What do I say to my team when we lose a game and kids are upset?
Parent coaches are encouraged to be on-time and be ready to practice in active gear.
Any questions related to the clinic can be directed to Chris.